The Student News Site of New Plymouth High School

Garbanzo’s: The Last Man Standing

September 26, 2017

Lately there has been many stores opening and closing in New Plymouth. Stores like The Rustic Cup have opened their doors but closed only a few months afterwards. Although no one knows for sure why none of these businesses are staying, one store has been fighting and striving for 9 years. Lately there has been many stores opening and closing in New Plymouth. Stores like The Rustic Cup have opened their doors but closed only a few months afterwards. Although no one knows for sure why none of these businesses are staying, one store has been fighting and striving for 9 years.

Garbonzo’s pizza company along Plymouth Ave. has been in business for almost ten years. It was originally thought up by the owner’s, Sherry Erickson, son and husband. She stated, “My son and my husband really wanted to do it. My husband worked at Micron and at the time they were doing layoffs, so he thought he had better get something else to do.” Sherry told me that after awhile she ended up running the restaurant herself.

Throughout the years, Mrs. Erickson has worked with her children, especially her son, at Garbonzo’s. With her children growing up and moving on with their lives, good help is hard to find. At one point Garbonzo’s did delivery but stopped because of how long the pizzas sat waiting to be picked up. She says that the main reason they stopped was because of the distance between Fruitland and Wildwood Lane. Another reason was because “there was not enough constant deliveries, like some nights you would have no deliveries but the next night there would be a whole bunch of deliveries, but they were on different sides of their delivery radius. One delivery could be to fruitland and then the other is to Wildwood and that’s a 45 minute difference. So the pizzas would either be sitting on the rack getting cold or in the pizza bag ‘sweating’”

Sherry says that she thinks the reason a lot of the businesses are closing is because “You have to have good food, good prices, and things people want. We have lucked out that we have all those things.” This may be the case or it may not but, businesses are closing. The only question is why?