Big Shoes to Fill

September 21, 2017

Students shouldn’t judge a person based on someone else, but that doesn’t mean that they won’t.

Stepping into big shoes was an understatement when Mr. Watson decided to take on  the job as the Government, Personal Finance, and Western Civilization teacher. As he has been testing the waters in his new positions, Mr. Watson said  “I expect to be respected by the students as I respect them”. Although he may have some serious expectations for his students academically, he values his relationships with them even more and clings to his goal of creating an atmosphere in which they feel that they can learn and be themselves. He says that the relationships that he builds are what make his career worthwhile.

Surprisingly enough, Mr. Watson didn’t even want to be a teacher until after he had graduated with his bachelor’s in business. He said, “Being a teacher was the last thing that I wanted to do in college.” Mr. Watson discussed that the desire to teach didn’t come until after coaching basketball and building those relationships with his players. He still loves sports and is an active coach even today, but another one of his greatest passions is having the opportunity to bond with the teenagers in which he teaches some of the most valuable fundamentals they will receive in their lives.

Mr. Watson loves mentoring the senior class and hopes to have a similar impact on his students as a college professor had on him. His classroom, much like Mr. Hally’s, ambiance remains laid back and light in humor; still on task, of course

Mr. Watson has much to offer. His youthful nature and relaxed teaching style offers much for the students and along with the fact that he grips the very nature of teaching as a beautiful opportunity to excel the next generation, he will have his own faithful followers, as Mr. Hally does today.

Speaking as students ourselves, we shouldn’t dictate a teacher unworthy of a position before even giving them a chance to prove their abilities, and perhaps we judged Mr. Watson harshly as he began his first class as a Personal Finance teacher and have had to reassess our thoughts. Watson brings much to the table. While he is, and will never be Mr. Hally, he is Mr. Watson; the man who values teaching as a passion instead of a job and has much potential. He is a person I admire already and if I can see Mr. Watson as the person he is and aspires to be, then anyone can.