Mrs. Zimmerman takes over the Band and Choir at both the middle and high school.

Alyssa Murillo

Band teacher takes a $5,ooo pay cut to teach at New Plymouth

August 31, 2017

Mrs. Shannon Zimmerman has come back to her former high school, New Plymouth High School, to teach band and choir after graduating college in the class of 2016. She first started as a general music teacher for fifth and sixth graders. During those years she started her own choir program which consisted of twenty-five students out of the seven hundred twenty students. She taught this for about a year before moving on to New Plymouth.

In the upcoming year, Mrs. Zimmerman plans to improve the band to a professional level. Her goal for this year is to get more interest in the band. She hopes that word spreads and more people join the band so that numbers increase and students can present better at performances. This year Mrs. Zimmerman is concentrating on pep-band and non-competitive festivals. Next year she is going to implement marching band by starting a marching band camp a week before school. Mrs. Z wants to also start a jazz band/Orchestra before or during the school day. Her main point is that everyone has fun inside and outside of class, otherwise there is no point in doing band.

Mrs. Z tells says that during her years in band, there were only five band members when she graduated. She also told us that their

band didn’t even go to a festival, a competition, or to even see a marching band until her senior year.

Zimmerman expresses that the biggest competition in band will be Emmet because the band teachers that they have were taught by Dan Bukvich and Spencer Martin, the very same instructors that taught her. She says that Fruitland is a strong, loud, and proud band, and she thinks that if we can use the same musicality, we can easily beat local schools and give Emmet a run for their money.

Once Mrs. Z found out about the Band/Choir position was open, she dropped everything to come over here, including a $5,000 pay cut. She can honestly say that since she was in high school she has always wanted to do what she does. Mrs. Z says that no teacher is ever in it for the pay. It is all about priorities and what you want to do in life. She also commented that if you really want to do something it should not be for the money it should be for your own experience.