10 Deaths and 10 injuries in Santa Fe School Shooting

May 23, 2018

On Friday May 18th at 8am, a school shooting occurred at Santa Fe High School in Santa Fe, Texas, killing nine students, a teacher, and injuring some officials.

At 12:32 pm, Eyewitness News released the name of the accused student. Dimitros Pagourttzis, accused shooter, is being blamed for killing at least 10 people, nine students and a teacher, and planting at least one bomb on campus. Fellow students and teachers state that the act was completely unexpected from this quiet student. Dimitros started shooting in the school art room according to some students in the class, although no names were given. Witnesses report that, ¨all you could hear were the gunshots, Boom Boom Boom¨ ¨I heard a loud Boom Boom Boom, then all the teachers yelling at us to run¨

At 1:39 pm, Greg Abbott, governor of Texas, held a press release stating this incident is ¨One of the most heinous attacks in texas schools…I can confirm there have been 10 lives lost, Another 10 wounded…We grieve for the victims who have lost their lives. Nothing can prepare a parent for the loss of their child. I ask the rest of the country to mourn the loss of the students and to pray for their families.¨ Governor Abbott also stated that he had two goals which are to ¨make sure nothing like this ever happens again¨ and to ¨Gather the evidence, to ensure that the crime will be executed correctly, provide families therapy and help.¨

Authorities have also found that the accused, Dimitros Pagourttzis, used a shotgun and a 38 revolver and told EyeWitness news that Dimitros is being charged with Capital Murder. As a minor, he can be charged directly with the crime but can not be executed if guilty. Local officials also discovered journals, written by Dimitros Pagourttzis, that states how he was planning his shooting massacre and even his plan to kill himself at the end of it.  He is currently being held in Galveston County jail with no bond.

Photo Credit: New York Times